Friday, January 21, 2011

Cinnamaldehyde...or Cinnamon for short.



Oh Cinnamon, how I love thee!

My kids...not so much.

I put it on everything especially when I make Malt-O-Meal for breakfast, it gives it that cinnamon bread flavor that I adore so much. However, if you take a nice sized spoonful of this spice, you might get a jolt of heat and thats why my kids dont like it so much, its "spicy" they say. Thats where the Cinnamaldehyde comes into play. This is the oil that is present in the spice that gives it its hot and sweet flavor.

What most may not know though is that cinnamaldehyde is one of the strongest natural antiseptics around and is proven to treat chronic infection, and even colds. Catechins are compounds in cinnamon as well that lend it in being an effective combatant against indigestion and even nausea. Eugenol in the oil serves as a painkiller and aids in the relief of headaches and even toothaches for the young ones.

 I am sneaky though...very sneaky. I put it in my boy's applesauce , give it good stir and they inhale it! That Malt-O-Meal that I load up with cinnamon...gone in 5 minutes. The key is to find the herbs, fruits, vitamins and nutrients that will benefit their bodies the most...

...and sneak it in their tummies!


Cinnamon Pecan Streusel Cake
Hide them in muffins, blend boiled softened carrots into pizza sauce prior to making their veggie pizza boats, sprinkle pancake batter with wheat germ and cinnamon...the list goes on, but whatever you do, keep it "spice-y."

0 comments:

Post a Comment